The hiccups usually go away on their own. Impatient? Try these tips.
Everyone has the hiccups from time to time; repeated, involuntary contractions of the diaphragm. It usually goes away on its own, but you can try these (not scientifically proven) tips to stop the hiccups.
How to stop the hiccups
- Change your breathing:startle, hold your breath for as long as possible or breathe in and out quickly.
- Breathing in a paper bag also seems to help; exhaled air contains more carbon dioxide than normal air. This allows the diaphragm to relax.
- Suck on an ice cream for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Suck on a piece of lemon.
- Put a teaspoon of granulated sugar on the back of your tongue and swallow the sugar.
Prevent the hiccups
Avoid eating too much and too quickly, carbonated drinks and too much alcohol.